The Truth at LastPosted On:
Despite what you hear from your local tour guide/yarn spinner, here’s the real history of The Green Parrot Bar:
• From 1888 to 1927 the building is listed as a grocery store in Key West City Directories.
• The 1948 directory lists the establishment as The Brown Derby Bar, and the name remains the same throughout several ownerships until…
• Judy Sullivan comes along in 1970 and establishes the Brown Derby Sub Shop and Green Parrot Bar.
• In 1980, Judy 86’s the sub shop and we’re just The Green Parrot.
• Mr. Bean purchases the joint in 1983, and as they say, “The rest is history!”
There you have it!
Source: Susan Olsen, Key West Art and Historical Society.